Mostly we have reviews which are written even before products reach the market, they are written based on the quick impression of the device. But not in this case. We used this lumia as a daily driver for 2 months and here is what we think of it. But before we begin the review, let’s have a look at some stories around Lumia.
After Microsoft bought Nokia’s mobile division, Microsoft they said Goodbye to the brand “Nokia Lumia” and re-branded it as “Microsoft Lumia”. The launch of “Microsoft Lumia 535” smartphone (Rs 9200) was the end for the Nokia Lumia series. The Lumia 535 was first Non Nokia branded phone and was the first to carry “Microsoft” brand on the Lumia devices. You may have heard Nokia is planning to make a come-back in smartphone arena.
The Lumia line of Windows Phones has been focusing on affordable smartphones that still bring a lot of good-enough features with affordable pricing. This is probably a good strategy for Microsoft, since,a huge percentage of the population, don’t need a Rs. 45,000 iPhone for social media and daily needs. Microsoft is planning to do a lot of things for the Windows 10 mobile ecosystem, like porting of Android and iOS Apps, adding flagships and launching relevant products at affordable prices.
After, Microsoft Lumia 535 got a positive response by the customers; many other Microsoft branded mobiles followed in wake of mild success – Microsoft Lumia 532, Lumia 432, etc. . And then at MWC (Mobile World Congress) the Microsoft branded “Microsoft Lumia 640″ was introduced.
Review Microsoft Lumia 640
In India ,Microsoft launched “Microsoft Lumia 640 Dual Sim” on April 7th , 2015. Microsoft Lumia 640 is a “Flipkart Exclusive” in India.Microsoft Lumia 640 launch price was Rs 11,999 ,but it is currently available on Flipkart for Rs. 8999.
The Lumia 640 has a Quad-core 1.2 Ghz Snapdragon 400 processor with Adreno 305 GPU. The smartphone has 1 Gb of RAM which is more than adequate to run various windows Apps.
The Lumia 640 has 8 GB of internal storage. About 1/4th of that is taken up by the operating system, bundled apps, and synced email accounts data.
There is not a lot of room to install too many 3rd party apps, music, pictures, and videos, but the good part is the Lumia 640 has support for the Micro SD card. You can add up to 128 GB of storage and can install all your Apps and games on the micro-sd card without a hitch.
This aggressively priced phone has been blessed with a sizable 5-inch screen with 720*1280 Clear Black IPS-LCD display.
It comes with Gorilla Glass 3 for protection against scratches and wear and tear. Microsoft Lumia 640 is powered by Windows Phone 8.1 with Lumia Denim , which means it’s accompanied with Cortana the counter part to our dear Siri. The Lumia 640 is also gifted the Lumia branded apps.
It’s got an ambient light sensor, accelerometer, proximity sensor, magnetometer, and Sensor Core for excercise tracking.
The 8 Megapixel backside illuminated camera has auto-focus and an LED flash, while the front facing camera is only 0.9 megapixels.
The smartphone is powered by a 2500 mAh battery which is enough to last almost full day without need for charging.
The Glance Mode
The Lumia 640 actually includes Glance Mode. This is another awesome feature that’s usually found on higher-end Lumia devices, but it’s finally available on something more affordable. Glance Mode shows some phone information and the time on your screen in a low-power state when it’s in sleep mode so that you can quickly see some important stuff without bringing it out of sleep. This helps greatly to save battery.
Additionally Lumia 640 has the Double tap to wake up feature, which is quite handy to quick wake your phone. Double Tap to wake feature gives you an alternative for using the unlock key to wake up your phone.
How is the Camera Quality for the Microsoft Lumia 640?
Lumia devices, in general, have the reputation of being graced with some of the best smartphone camera lenses out there. Microsoft Lumia has 8-megapixel 1/4″ sensor with an f/2.2 aperture lens and a single LED flash, is no exception to that.
Image quality from the 8-megapixel camera is definitely good compared to a lot of 13 MP camera smartphones. The depth of colors in images is where the Microsoft Lumia 640 really impressed us the most, as shots typically have a natural, slightly vivid appearance. When using its Rich Tone mode, it’s able to compensate contrasting areas where hard lighting blends with darker areas of the photograph.
Some of the Pics Taken By Lumia 640 Camera, the lower image is taken in low light.
Around the front, there’s a 0.9-megapixel HD snapper. No doubt, the specs won’t impress too many people, but it’s not the true telling of its capabilities. The front facing camera may only have 0.9MP sensor but again can match or exceed many 2 Mp or higher camera’s. However if you are a selfie lover, it may fall short of your expectations. Some 5 MP camera phones like Honor 4X triumphs the Lumia 640 front camera easily.
But the 0.9 HD front camera gives good results in day light.
Major Pros and Cons for the Microsoft Lumia 640
Pros of Microsoft Lumia 640
- Gorgeous Display screen: 720p HD IPS screen with ClearBlack screen is brilliant in this price segment. The viewing angles great and colours are vivid. The text looks sharp. Sunlight legibility is decent.
- Good camera: The primary camera performance is one of the best in this price range. Both videos and photos comes out well.
- Decent Battery life: 2500 mAh battery provides longer power backup. For casual users, it lasts close to 2 days and for average users more than a day.
- Call Quality and Sound Output: Call quality is good and the speakers on the back of phone are loud enough for day to day use.
- Free 1 year Microsoft Office 365 subscription: Lumia 640 comes with a 12-month Office 365 Personal subscription worth Rs 3299. This includes the latest desktop version of Office applications such as MS Word, MS PowerPoint, in addition to cloud storage of 1 TB OneDrive space for 12 months and Skype.
Cons of Lumia 640
- Poor resolution Front facing Camera: The front facing camera has only 0.9MP sensor. It could have been better if it could have come with better resolution camera for selfie lovers. And if you are a selfie lover then you can go for “Microsoft Lumia 540” which offer an excellent front facing camera.
- Limited Apps: The app store for Windows platform is increasing. However, it is not comparable to Android Play store magnitude.
- Lacks 4G LTE : 4G is not supported by the Microsoft Lumia 640.
Also, just some days ago, the “Microsoft Lumia 640 and 535 were Tagged as Most Delightful Smartphones in a US Survey.”
You May Also Like:
Check Out Our Latest Video and Subscribe to Candytech Channel!!!