Samsung launched the next generation of Samsung Galaxy Note 5 yesterday at an event in the US. The phone or rather the 5.7-inch phablet got a design boost.
However, Samsung has stuck to the 5.7-inch screen size for the phablet, similar to Note 4.
Update – Samsung is planning to launch the Samsung Galaxy Note 5 in India on 7 September 2015. Samsung has sent a media invite for the India launch. Stay tuned for pricing and availability. The smartphone will most likely be available for pre-orders after the launch event.
How is Samsung Note 5 Different?
The Samsung Note 5 has got some elemental design changes Vs the outgoing Note 4. The leatherback cover is replaced with the glass back similar Samsung S6 edge.
The Note 5 was launched along with the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Plus that also has a 5.7-inch screen.
It is interesting to note that Samsung has scrubbed the Note Edge this year and just launched the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, without the curved edge display.
The Samsung S6 Edge+ serves the need for the large screen curved edge phablet.
Further, the Note 5 offers improved performance, specs other than the design changes it has gone through this year.
Samsung Note 5 Specs and Key Features
The Galaxy Note 5 has a noncurved 5.7 inch Super AMOLED Display, and a Quad HD (2560*1440) resolution. The screen is gorgeous to read and to play games as it comes with an incredible 518 PPI.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 runs on the 14nm, worlds most advanced processor – The Exynos 7420. The Octa Core processor has tremendous potential and power, and it is coupled with 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM. The smartphone will be available in 32 GB and 64 GB variants when it goes on Sale on August 21.
The Samsung Note 5 much like the S6+ has a 16 MP rear camera that comes with OIS (Optical – Image – Stabilization), fast Autofocus and soft tone lens.
The front camera is also bumped compared to last years Note 4 (3.7 MP) camera to a 5 MP wide-angle camera.
The smartphone runs on the latest Android Lollipop 5.0 along with the Samsung signature Touch-wiz UI. The mobile has a new Youtube app that lets you stream videos live from the Galaxy Note 5 camera to Youtube.
A Better Sylus
The Note 5 has a slightly longer Stylus and is made quite intuitive regarding user writing experience with an upgrade to the software; it responds better than the earlier generations of S-Pens.
In the Note 5 you will not require to unlock the phone and then open up Notes app to start scribbling, you can do that on the home screen without wasting any time to jot down the quick note.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 supports high-speed 4G LTE advanced network, means you can get blazing fast 300 MB/S speed on the Note 5.
Further, the phone has a 3000 mAH capacity battery that is slightly lower compared to the Note 4 (3220 mAH battery).
The battery has now become non-removable, and the support for the external memory card is gone too in the wake of design changes for the Note 5.
Lastly, the new Note offers quick charge feature as well as wireless charging options that are also present on the Samsung S6.
Overall we feel the changes are positive and Samsung is moving in the right direction, but are they significant to update from the Samsung Note 4 or Samsung S6, I don’t think so.
Early leaks and Details: Samsung Note 5
6 Things About The Upcoming Samsung Galaxy Note 5 – The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is expected to get released this year on September 4-9 during the IFA event at Berlin.
It is the time of the year Samsung launches the new Samsung Galaxy Note. Last year too we saw Samsung releasing the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Note Edge at the same time.
Below are the 6 rumors which are doing the rounds in various tech forums and these can be close to reality, though must be accepted with a grain of salt.
Samsung Note 5 Edge
1) The earlier rumors were that Samsung is planning to launch a Galaxy Note 5 and a Note Edge variant but according to the latest reports leaked by the Chinese website sq.qq.com (via Android Headlines), the Note 5 Edge variant has been scrapped.
A Thinner Note 5
2) The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 is going to be thinner compared to the Samsung Galaxy Note 4. The Samsung Note 4 measures about 8.5 mm while the new note is going to have 7.9 mm in thickness.
A foldable Display
3) The Note 5 may use some of the patents done by Samsung, in the real world, with automatic ejectable S-pen and a foldable display. Either of the two features can appear on the new Samsung Device.
Can it Come with UHD Display?
4) The Samsung Note 5 is expected to come with a 5.5 inch or 5.7-inch screen and can offer the UHD (4K ) display which can push the pixel density above 700 PPI. Also, It may continue with the QHD display with 500+ PPI same as the Galaxy S6. HTC, LG, and other players are still trying to get to the 2K resolution.
A More Powerful Processor
5) It is most likely to feature the Octa-core, Exynos 7422, the advanced version of the current flagship processor Exynos 7420. The Exynos 7420 is incredible with Antutu score of 70,000 it has just made the Qualcomm Snapdragon look old.
The Beast With 4 GB RAM
6) It will have the 4GB LPDDR4 Ram that is much faster compared to the current 4 GB LPDDR3 Ram found on devices like Asus Zenphone 2.
Furthermore, the Rear Camera is going to be the 16 MP with OIS, and the front camera may get an 8 MP Lens. The battery capacity may also get a boost to 3400 mAH.
And did I mention, it is also might sport the type C port that Apple unveiled with the Macbook earlier this year.