Let’s Find Out Some of the Best Premium Smartphones on the Market
Updated – 08 November 2018 – If you are looking for a smartphone strictly in the range of Rs, 30,000 to Rs. 40,000. Here are the 10 Best High-end Flagship phones worth considering. We are not adding any smartphones below 30K (1-2 exceptions) to keep the list more about smartphones in the higher range.
While so much is happening in the low-end budget mobile space, the question comes, is there a need to buy a Flagship high-end smartphone?
The answer is Yes, while we have Xiaomi or Lenovo offering good low-cost mobiles, it makes sense to invest in a high-end smartphone like Lg G7 or OnePlus 6T.
There are many reasons to do that, however the Most compelling are :
- Premium Built Quality and User Experience.
- After sales service and User experience.
- Excellent Camera Quality, and long-term use without the need to worrying about the phone getting outdated.
- Style Quotient and status symbol.
High-end phones offer superior quality in comparison to budget specs loaded phones. So, when you play a 3D game, the low-cost Octa-core phone starts heating up, it just restarts for no reason, call quality is poor, hangs and not work smoothly despite the specs.
The screen is high resolution but still look crappy, poor color reproduction. The camera is 13 MP and clicks grainy, low-quality photos like a 5 MP camera.
An Apple or a Google Pixel may have some issues but definitely, quality control is much better on premium smartphones, and if you are someone, who like a beautiful screen to read articles, want better family pictures, need excellent user experience, you will never be satisfied with a low-end smartphone.
Let’s check out the 10 Best Smartphone Under Rs 40000 in India.
Table of Contents
11Asus Zenfone 5Z
Price Rs. 36,999
Asus Zenfone 5Z is a true flagship in every way. After months of rumors, it was finally revealed by Asus in India recently.
The phone will go on sale starting from 9th July on Flipkart.
The Asus Zenfone 5Z flaunts a shiny aluminum body. The phone even has an iPhone X like notch. For unlocking the phone, a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner is there too.
The most expensive variant of Asus Zenfone 5Z is priced at Rs. 36,999 and packs 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB storage.
The phone is definitely a great choice under 40k budget.
The Asus Zenfone 5Z features a 6.2-inch FHD+ (1080 x 2246 pixels) IPS LCD display. It has a modern 18:9 aspect ratio too.
Powered by a Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Octa-core processor along with an Adreno 630 GPU, the phone is blazing fast and smooth.
Also, it runs on Android Oreo 8.0 OS with ASUS ZenUI 5.0 on top of it.
For imaging department, Asus Zenfone 5Z carries a dual 12 MP + 8 MP rear camera with gyro EIS and dual-LED dual-tone flash. Furthermore, selfies can be clicked using an 8 MP front-facing selfie camera.
A 3300 mAh non-removable battery ensures that the phone lasts over a day easily. Additionally, fast charging through an 18W adapter reducing the battery charging time.
Key Specifications for Asus Zenfone 5Z:
- Display: 6.2-inch IPS LCD FHD+ (1080 x 2246 pixels) (~402 PPI).
- Chipset: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
- GPU: Adreno 630
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB
- OS: Android OS, v8.0 (Oreo)
- Storage: 64 GB or 128 GB or 256 GB, expandable up to 512 GB
- Primary Camera: Daul 12 MP (f/1.8) + 8 MP (f/2.0)
- Secondary camera: 8 MP, (f/2.0)
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes, rear-mounted
- Battery capacity: 3000 mAh non-removable
- Weight: 155 grams.
- Dimensions : 153 x 75.7 x 7.9 mm
- Fast Charging: Yes
Read our detailed Review of the Asus Zenfone 5Z.
Price Rs. 44,999
The Vivo Nex was launched in India on 21st July 2018 and is a revolutionary phone with a pop-up front camera and an in-display fingerprint reader.
Display – The Vivo Nex has a large 6.59 Inch FHD+ (2316*1080) Super AMOLED display and comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection. It offers an incredible 91.2% screen to body ratio as there is no notch or front bezels.
Design – The phone comes with a unique glass back design which as an immaculate finish. There is a fingerprint scanner inside the display and the front pop-up camera looks futuristic.
Performance – The Nex offers 8 GB of Ram, and is powered by the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor clocked at 2.8 GHz, and comes with the Adreno 630 GPU. The performance is great, and you won’t feel any lag on this smartphone.
Camera – The Nex comes with impressive Dual Rear cameras with 12+5 Megapixel lens. The primary lens has an f1.8 aperture and a large 1.4-micron pixel size.
The automatic pop-up front camera is an 8 Megapixel shooter for clicking selfies.
Battery and OS – The Nex runs on the Android Oreo 8.1 OS along with the fun touch Os 4.1 skin. There is a large 4000 mAH capacity battery that also supports fast charging.
Other features are NFC, USB Type C, Dual Sim, and 4G VOLTE support.
Key Advantages – Great Bezel free Display, in-display scanner, Large Battery Capacity.
9Apple iPhone 7
Price Rs. 41,500
Even after the launch of iPhone 8, a lot of people are finding great value in the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 comes with an ultra-fast A10 chipset and can compete with most smartphones, like Samsung S8 or OnePlus 5 as far as performance goes.
The iPhone 7 camera may not be as good as a Samsung S8, but on the positive side, iOS offers incredible experience and simplicity which Apple fans love.
Well, iPhone 7 revolutionary 3D touch display stands out and offer a unique experience.
Pros – It offers 4.7-inch 3D display, A10 chipset, 3 GB RAM & great Sony lens.
You can buy the iPhone 7 for Rs. 41,000.
Key Specifications Apple iPhone 7:
- Chipset: Quad-core Apple A10 processor clocked at 2.34 GHz.
- Display: 4.7 Inch LED-Backlit display with (750×1334) (~326 PPI). (16:9 Aspect Ratio).
- OS: iOS 11, upgradable to iOS 11.4.
- GPU: PowerVR Series7XT Plus with 6 Cores.
- RAM: 2 GB
- Storage: 32/64/128 GB internal storage & no SD card support.
- Primary Camera: Single 12 MP, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, Phase detection autofocus, dual-tone flash.
- Secondary Camera : 7 MP, f/2.2, with HDR, Panorama, 1080p @60 fps.
- Sim: Single Sim with 4G VOLTE support
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes at the front.
- Waterproof and Dustproof – Yes, IP 67 Rating.
- 3.5 MM Headphone Jack – No.
- Battery capacity: Non-removable Li-ion 1960 mAh battery.
- Dimensions : 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm.
- Weight: 138 grams
- Stereo Speakers – Yes.
- 3D Touch – Yes.
- Colors – Black, Gold, Rose Gold, Gold, Silver.
8OnePlus 6T (New Addition)
Price Rs. 36,999 (128GB, 6 GB RAM), Rs. 41,999 (128 GB, 8 GB RAM)
The OnePlus 6T is one of the best value for money smartphones under 40K. It is the latest top selling phone on Amazon India and Oneplus is able to capture a large share of the premium phone market with the launch of OnePlus 6 and 6T.
The OnePlus 6T comes with a 6.41 Inch Super AMOLED Display and Full HD+ resolution (2340*1080 pixels) and an 19.5:9 aspect ratio display.
Powering the mobile is the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor and the Adreno 630 GPU. Additionally, there is ample storage (128 GB) and it comes with 6 GB / 8 GB Ram to ensure fluid experience.
The phone has a new water-drop notch display and offers 86% screen to body ratio. Also, there is an in-display fingerprint scanner, similar to the Vivo Nex.
Key Specs for OnePlus 6T
- Chipset: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Processor with Adreno 630 GPU.
- Protection – Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
- Display: 6.41 Inch FHD+ (2340*1080 pixels) Super AMOLED Panel with 19:9 Aspect Ratio.
- OS: Android Pie 9.0 along with the Oxygen OS.
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB Ram.
- Storage: 128 GB internal storage & no SD card support.
- Primary Camera: Dual 16 MP+ 20 MP camera with f/1.7 aperture and OIS, EIS, Phase detection autofocus, dual-tone flash.
- Secondary Camera: 16 Megapixel front selfie camera with f/2.0 aperture, EIS, 1080P videos.
- Sim: Dual Sim Dual 4G (LTE/VOLTE).
- Fingerprint Sensor: In-display Reader.
- Battery capacity: 3700 mAH with fast charging support (Dash Charging).
- Thickness – 7.9 mm
- Weight: 182 grams
- USB Type C Port – Yes
- Price – Starts at Rs. 36,999 in India.
7Huawei Honor 10
Price Rs. 32,999
Huawei Honor 10 comes coupled with AI cameras apart from a whopping 24-megapixel front shooter and even has an iconic gradiant glass back cover. The phone looks like the more expensive Huawei Honor P20 Pro that costs almost twice.
It has a notch like iPhone X on top of the display, and comes with a new reflective back.
Also, there is an infrared sensor along with a beautiful Full HD+ display. Although it is equipped with a number of features, it lacks waterproofing and doesnot come with a processor as good as Snapdragon 845.
Key Specs for Huawei Honor 10:
- Chipset – HiSilicon Kirin 970 with a maximum clock speed of 2.4 GHz.
- Graphics – Mali-G72 GPU.
- Protection – Corning Gorilla Glass.
- Screen – 5.84-inch, 1080 x 2280 pixels, 432 PPI. 80% screen to body ratio.
- Operating System – Android Oreo 8.1 with EMUI 8.1
- RAM – 6 GB Ram.
- Storage – 128 GB internal Storage, no memorycard slot.
- Main Camera – Dual 16 MP f/1.8 aperture + 24 MP with f/1.8 aperture (B/W), PDAF, LED flash
- Front Camera – 24 megapixel (f/2.0), 1080p video
- SIM – Dual Sim (Nano-SIM), dual stand-by
- Fingerprint Reader – Front-mounted.
- Face Unlocking – True.
- Battery – 3400 mAh, non-removable battery with fast charging support.
- Thickness – 7.7 mm
- Weight – 153 grams
- USB Type C Port – Yes, 2.0
- Price – Starts at Rs. 32,999 in India.
6Samsung Galaxy S7
Price Rs. 29,990
Samsung Galaxy S7 is the perfect Android smartphone with decent battery life, best camera, great looks and excellent user experience.
The OLED display and the camera on S7 are unmatched by any rival; even the more expensive iPhone 7 fails to compete. Google Pixel is a very close competition. After recent price drop from Rs. 48,900 to Rs. 35,900 it is a great smartphone to own.
Key Specifications Samsung S7 :
- Display: 5.2-inch SuperAMOLED capacitive touch screen (1440 x 2560) (~577 PPI).
- Chipset: Quad-core Qualcomm MSM8996 Snapdragon 820 processor (or) Octa-core Exynos 8890 processor clocked at 2.3 GHz.
- GPU: Adreno 530 or Mali-T880 MP12.
- RAM: 4 GB
- OS: Android OS, v6.0 (Marshmallow)
- Storage: 32 GB internal storage, expandable up to 256 GB via SD card.
- Primary Camera: 12 MP, f/1.7, 26 mm, auto phase detection autofocus, OIS.
- Secondary camera: 5 MP, f/1.7, 22 mm, dual video call, HDR.
- Sim : Single / Dual Sim (4G/3G) (LTE)
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes
- Battery capacity: Non-removable Li-ion 3000 mAh battery.
- Weight: 152 grams.
- Dimensions : 142.4 x 69.6 x 7.9 mm.
- Fast Charging: Yes
Key Specs for Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge (Price Rs. 35,999)
- Processor – Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 or Exynos 8890 Processor.
- GPU – Adreno 530, Mali-T880 MP12
- Screen Size – 5.5 inch 2k Display(2560*1440) , 534 PPI
- Dual Sim –No
- RAM – 4 GB RAM
- Operating System – Android Marshmallow 6.0 with the TouchWiz UI.
- Finger Print Scanner – Yes
- Camera – 12.3 MP and 5 MP Front camera.
- Connectivity – 2G, 3G & 4G, WIFI, Bluetooth.
- Storage – 32 GB internal Storage – expandable to 200 GB.
- Battery Capacity – Li-ion 3600 mAh.
- Thickness – 7.7 mm
- Weight – 157 grams
5OnePlus 6 (New Addition)
Price Rs. 34,999 (64 GB) – 39,999 (128 GB)
OnePlus 6 is the 2018 flagship device from OnePlus, that has a dual-camera setup and a glass back. Powering the phone is the Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 845 processor, it handles almost every task effortlessly.
It is pitched in the market to compete against flagship rival phones at a significantly cheaper price while offering almost every feature that a top-tier smartphone offers. Some of the key highlights of the device are face-unlocking, large 6.28 Inch FHD+ bezel-less display, stunning glass back design, Android Oreo 8.0 with Oxygen OS.
Also, Oneplus has improved the camera quality on the device as it comes with 16 MP + 20 MP Dual Rear camera with Optical image stabilization and f/1.7 aperture lens.
Key Specs for OnePlus 6:
- OS: Android 8.1 Oreo
- Screen: 6.28 Inches Full HD+ (2280×1080) AMOLED display, 19:9, 402ppi
- Dimensions 155.7mm x 75.4mm x 7.75mm
- Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 octa-core processor
- Internal Storage: 64/ 128 / 256 GB
- Memory: 6/ 8 GB RAM
- Battery: 3300 mAh.
- Primary Camera: 16 Megapixel and 20 Megapixel Rear camera, f/1.7 With OIS Support.
- Front Camera: 16 Megapixel, f/2.0.
- Video Recording: 4K @ 60fps, Slo-mo 720p @480fps.
- WiFi: 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac dual-band
- GPS: Yes
- Bluetooth:5.0 with aptX
- NFC: Yes
- Fingerprint scanner: Yes
- Wireless charging: No
- Weight: 177g
- Colors: Silk White, Mirror Black, Midnight Black.
- Ports: USB-C, 3.5mm Headphone Jack
LG unveiled the LG G6 at the MWC, in February 2017. The smartphone was launched in India in April 2017. The LG G6 is priced close to 40k and offers excellent value for money.
Display – The key highlight of the LG G6 is its 5.7-inch 18:9 QHD+ FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 offering 564 PPI). The screen comes with curved edges, and it makes the smartphone look futuristic, similar to the Samsung Galaxy S8.
Dual Camera – The other notable feature for the LG G6 is its Dual Rear camera, which comes with 13 MP wide f/2.4 aperture lens and another 13 MP standard lens with f/1.8 aperture. The camera even has optical image stabilization.
The front camera is a 5 Megapixel wide angle shooter.
The LG G6 offers excellent imaging and photography options for buyers and is slightly better in my opinion compared to the crowd favorite OnePlus 5.
Performance – The phone is powered by the Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 Processor similar to the one used in OnePlus 3T. The processor comes with the Adreno 530 GPU and 4 GB Ram.
The phone runs on the Android Nougat 7.0 along with the LG UX 6.0; it will also get the Android Oreo 8.0 update.
Further, the G6 comes with Water and Dust resistant design and has IP 68 rating. The mobile also has exceptional sound quality and uses the HIFI DAC.
The LG G6 includes features like Bluetooth, WIFI, USB Type C, NFC, and rear mounted Fingerprint scanner.
Lastly, the phone has a 3300 mAH capacity battery which supports Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0. The G6 weighs 163 grams and has a thickness of 7.9 mm.
The mobile is currently priced at Rs 37,999.
Price Rs. 39,000 (650$)
The Google Pixel was launched at the end of 2016 and is the successor to the Google Nexus 6P. The Google Pixel comes with the latest Android OS 7.0 and will be one of the first devices to get Android Oreo 8.0 update.
The Pixel comes with exceptional quality 12 Megapixel rear camera with f/2.0 aperture and optical image stabilization. The rear camera on the Google Pixel is one of the best you can find in this price range. The front selfie camera has an 8 MP lens.
The smartphone is also very compact and comes with 5.0 Inch display with Full HD resolution (1920*1080) and an AMOLED panel. Powering the phone is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 821 processor similar to the LG G6 and the OnePlus 3T.
There is 4 GB of ram, and the phone comes with 32 GB expandable storage. The phone has 2800 mAH battery that supports fast charging. The Pixel weighs 143 grams and has 8.3 mm thickness.
There is a fingerprint scanner at the back of the device to ensure quick unlocking. The Google Pixel is not too far behind when compared to the latest Google Pixel 2, the company has launched recently.
2Samsung Galaxy A8 Plus ( 6 GB RAM)
Samsung has launched the Galaxy A8 Plus to take on the OnePlus 5T in India and costs Rs. 32,999. The phone comes with a bezel-less display with Super AMOLED panel and has a screen size of 6.0 Inch. It has an 18.7:9 aspect ratio and comes with a 2220*1080 pixels resolution and 401 PPI.
Furthermore, the key highlight of the device is the Dual Selfie cameras (16 MP + 8 MP) that can click some killer selfies with background blur effect. Also, powering the phone is a snappy 7885 Octa-Core processor with a maximum clock speed of 2.2 GHz and there is 6 GB Ram to ensure smooth user experience.
Key Specs for Samsung Galaxy A8+ (Price Rs. 32,499)
- Processor – Exynos 7885 Octa-Core Processor with 2.2 GHz Clock Speed.
- GPU – Mali G71
- Screen Size – 6.0 Inch FHD+ Display, 18.7:9 Aspect Ratio, (2220*1080 pixels)
- Dual Sim – Yes.
- RAM – 6 GB RAM
- Operating System – Android Nougat 7.1 with the Samsung Experience UI.
- Finger Print Scanner – Yes.
- Front Camera – Dual 16 MP + 8 MP camera with Bokeh Mode.
- Rear Camera – Single 16 Megapixel camera with f/1.7 aperture lens.
- Connectivity – 2G, 3G & 4G VOLTE, WIFI, Bluetooth.
- Storage – 64 GB internal Storage – expandable to 256 GB.
- Battery Capacity – Li-ion 3500 mAh with fast charging support.
- USB Type C Port – Yes
- Thickness – 8.1 mm
- Weight – 191 grams
- Price Rs. 32,499
1Huawei View 10
The Huawei Honor View 10 is one of the most popular phones in the Sub 30k price range and is an excellent competitor to the OnePlus 5T. We did a detailed comparison of the Huawei View 10 Vs OnePlus 5T couple of days back, you may like to check that out.
The Huawei Honor View 10 comes with the ultra-fast Kirin 970 processor and the Mali G72 GPU that offers performance equivalent to the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 used in the Google Pixel 2 or the Oneplus 5T.
Additionally, the phone has an NPU (Neural Processing Unit) that allows it to use AI (Artificial Intelligence) in different tasks like imaging and selfies. Overall it is a great phone if you have a budget of around 30k.
Key Specifications for Huawei View 10:
- Processor: Octa Core, Hi-Silicon Kirin 970 with 2.4 GHz Clock Speed and the Mali G72 GPU.
- Display: 5.99 inch Super LCD display with 18:9 aspect ratio (2160×1080) (~403 PPI).
- RAM: 6 GB
- OS: Android OS, v8.0 (Oreo) along with the EMUI 8.0.
- Storage: 128 GB internal storage, expandable up to 256 GB via SD Card.
- Primary Camera: Dual 16 MP + 20 MP camera, f/1.8, uses AI to detect scenes and enhance images.
- Secondary Camera: 13 Megapixel front selfie camera with Portrait Mode.
- Dual Sim 4G VOLTE Support.
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes at the back of the device.
- Battery Capacity: Non-removable Li-ion 3750 mAH battery.
- Thickness – 7 mm
- Weight: 172 gms.
- Fast charging: Yes.
- USB Type C Port – Yes.
- Dust and Waterproof – No.
- Colors – Navy Blue, Black, Gold
There are some great suggestions in the article – 10 Best mobiles below Rs. 50,000 which you may like to consider before making a purchase.
Also, I recently wrote about some of the best phones worth buying in the 25K to 30K price range.