Let’s Find Out Some of the Best Premium Smartphones on the Market
Updated – 29-June-2019 – If you are looking for a smartphone strictly in the range of Rs, 30,000 to Rs. 40,000. Here are the 10 Best High-end Flagship phones worth considering. We are not adding any smartphones below 30K (1-2 exceptions) to keep the list more about smartphones in the higher range.
While so much is happening in the low-end budget mobile space, the question comes, is there a need to buy a Flagship high-end smartphone?
The answer is Yes, while we have Xiaomi or Realme offering good low-cost mobiles, it makes sense to invest in a high-end smartphone like Oneplus 7 or Oppo Reno 10x Zoom.
There are many reasons to do that, however the Most compelling are :
- Premium Built Quality and User Experience.
- After sales service and User experience.
- Excellent Camera Quality, and long-term use without the need to worrying about the phone getting outdated.
- Style Quotient and status symbol.
High-end phones offer superior quality in comparison to budget specs loaded phones. So, when you play a 3D game, the low-cost Octa-core phone starts heating up, it just restarts for no reason, call quality is poor, hangs and not work smoothly despite the specs.
The screen is high resolution but still look crappy, poor color reproduction. The camera is 13 MP and clicks grainy, low-quality photos like a 5 MP camera.
An Apple or a Google Pixel may have some issues but definitely, quality control is much better on premium smartphones, and if you are someone, who like a beautiful screen to read articles, want better family pictures, need excellent user experience, you will never be satisfied with a low-end smartphone.
Let’s check out the 10 Best Smartphone Under Rs 40000 in India.
Asus Zenfone 5Z
Price Rs. 21,999 – 25,999
Asus Zenfone 5z is available on Flipkart and after recent price drops, it is one of the favorite phones in the sub 30k price range.
The Asus Zenfone 5Z flaunts a shiny aluminum body. The phone even has an iPhone X like notch. For unlocking the phone, a rear-mounted fingerprint scanner is there too.
The most expensive variant of Asus Zenfone 5Z is priced at Rs. 25,999 and packs 8 GB of RAM and 256 GB storage.
The Asus Zenfone 5Z features a 6.2-inch FHD+ (1080 x 2246 pixels) IPS LCD display. It has a modern 18:9 aspect ratio too.
Powering it is the Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 Octa-core processor along with an Adreno 630 GPU, the phone is blazing fast and smooth.
Also, it runs on Android Oreo 9.0 OS with ASUS ZenUI 5.0 on top of it.
For imaging department, Asus Zenfone 5Z carries a dual 12 MP + 8 MP rear camera with gyro EIS and dual-LED dual-tone flash. Furthermore, selfies can be clicked using an 8 MP front-facing selfie camera.
A 3300 mAh non-removable battery ensures that the phone lasts over a day easily. Additionally, fast charging through an 18W adapter reducing the battery charging time.
Key Specifications for Asus Zenfone 5Z:
- Display: 6.2-inch IPS LCD FHD+ (1080 x 2246 pixels) (~402 PPI).
- Chipset: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor
- GPU: Adreno 630
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB
- OS: Android OS, v9.0 (Pie)
- Storage: 64 GB or 128 GB or 256 GB, expandable up to 512 GB
- Primary Camera: Dual 12 MP (f/1.8) + 8 MP (f/2.0)
- Secondary camera: 8 MP, (f/2.0)
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes, rear-mounted
- Battery capacity: 3300 mAh non-removable
- Weight: 155 grams.
- Dimensions : 153 x 75.7 x 7.9 mm
- Fast Charging: Yes
Read our detailed Review of the Asus Zenfone 5Z.
Price Rs. 29,999
The Vivo Nex was launched in India on 21st July 2018 and is a revolutionary phone with a pop-up front camera and an in-display fingerprint reader.
Display – The Vivo Nex has a large 6.59 Inch FHD+ (2316*1080) Super AMOLED display and comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection. It offers an incredible 91.2% screen to body ratio as there is no notch or front bezels.
Design – The phone comes with a unique glass back design which as an immaculate finish. There is a fingerprint scanner inside the display and the front pop-up camera looks futuristic.
Performance – The Nex offers 8 GB of Ram, and is powered by the flagship Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 processor clocked at 2.8 GHz, and comes with the Adreno 630 GPU. The performance is great, and you won’t feel any lag on this smartphone.
Camera – The Nex comes with impressive Dual Rear cameras with 12+5 Megapixel lens. The primary lens has an f1.8 aperture and a large 1.4-micron pixel size.
The automatic pop-up front camera is an 8 Megapixel shooter for clicking selfies.
Battery and OS – The Nex runs on the Android Oreo 8.1 OS along with the fun touch Os 4.1 skin. There is a large 4000 mAH capacity battery that also supports fast charging.
Other features are NFC, USB Type C, Dual Sim, and 4G VOLTE support.
Key Advantages – Great Bezel free Display, in-display scanner, Large Battery Capacity.
Apple iPhone 7
Price Rs. 41,500
Even after the launch of iPhone 8, a lot of people are finding great value in the iPhone 7. The iPhone 7 comes with an ultra-fast A10 chipset and can compete with most smartphones, like Samsung S8 or OnePlus 5 as far as performance goes.
The iPhone 7 camera may not be as good as a Samsung S8, but on the positive side, iOS offers incredible experience and simplicity which Apple fans love.
Well, iPhone 7 revolutionary 3D touch display stands out and offer a unique experience.
Pros – It offers 4.7-inch 3D display, A10 chipset, 3 GB RAM & great Sony lens.
You can buy the iPhone 7 for Rs. 41,000.
Key Specifications Apple iPhone 7:
- Chipset: Quad-core Apple A10 processor clocked at 2.34 GHz.
- Display: 4.7 Inch LED-Backlit display with (750×1334) (~326 PPI). (16:9 Aspect Ratio).
- OS: iOS 11, upgradable to iOS 11.4.
- GPU: PowerVR Series7XT Plus with 6 Cores.
- RAM: 2 GB
- Storage: 32/64/128 GB internal storage & no SD card support.
- Primary Camera: Single 12 MP, f/1.8 aperture, OIS, Phase detection autofocus, dual-tone flash.
- Secondary Camera : 7 MP, f/2.2, with HDR, Panorama, 1080p @60 fps.
- Sim: Single Sim with 4G VOLTE support
- Fingerprint Sensor: Yes at the front.
- Waterproof and Dustproof – Yes, IP 67 Rating.
- 3.5 MM Headphone Jack – No.
- Battery capacity: Non-removable Li-ion 1960 mAh battery.
- Dimensions : 138.3 x 67.1 x 7.1 mm.
- Weight: 138 grams
- Stereo Speakers – Yes.
- 3D Touch – Yes.
- Colors – Black, Gold, Rose Gold, Gold, Silver.
Samsung S8 (Rs. 29,999)
The Samsung S8 was launched in March 2017 and is a flagship mobile from Samsung. The S8 comes with a display size of 5.8 inches with a QHD+ resolution (2960*1440 pixels) having PPI of 570 pixels per inch.
Notably, the Samsung S8 comes with a Bezel-less display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio.
The Samsung S8 is one of the best-designed phones with Infinite display and offers excellent camera quality. The Samsung S8 comes with a f/1.7 aperture single rear camera which was also used last year on the Samsung S7 Edge.
Samsung S8 price in India starts from Rs. 57,900, which is slightly above our threshold of Rs. 50,000.
The S8 is coupled with 4 GB of RAM with 64 GB of internal storage which can be expanded 256 GB via micro SD card. The Indian version of the Samsung S8 is powered by the Exynos 8895 processor from Samsung clocked at 2.35 GHz.
Key Spec for Samsung Galaxy S8
- Processor – Exynos 8895 Octa-Core (India) or the Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 (USA).
- GPU – Mali-G71 MP20 (India)- Adreno 540 – USA & China.
- Rear Camera –12 MP, f/1.7, 26mm, phase detection autofocus, OIS, LED flash
- Front Camera – 8 MP, f/1.7, autofocus
- Screen Size – 5.8 inches with QHD+ (2960*1440), 570 PPI.
- Dual Sim –Yes, Hybrid Sim Slot.
- RAM – 4 GB RAM
- Operating System – Android Nougat 7.1 upgradable to Android Oreo 8.0.
- Finger Print Scanner – Yes Rear Mounted.
- Connectivity – WIFI, Bluetooth, NFC and USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Storage – 64 GB internal Storage – expandable to 256 GB.
- Battery Capacity – Non-removable – 3000 mAh capacity. Supports – Fast Charging, Wireless Charging.
- Colors – Midnight Black, Orchid Grey, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Thickness – 8 mm
- Weight – 155 grams
OnePlus 7 (New Addition)
Price Rs. 32,999 (128 GB, 6 GB RAM)
The Oneplus 7 is one of the best value for money smartphones under 40K. It is the latest top selling phone on Amazon India and Oneplus is able to capture a large share of the premium phone market with the launch of OnePlus 7 and 7 Pro.
The OnePlus 7 comes with a 6.41 Inch Super AMOLED Display and Full HD+ resolution (2340*1080 pixels) and an 19.5:9 aspect ratio display. There is is Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
Powering the mobile is the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor and the Adreno 640 GPU. Additionally, there is ample storage (128 GB) and it comes with 6 GB / 8 GB DDR4 Ram to ensure fluid experience.
Oneplus 7 boasts of 48 MP primary rear camera that uses the Sony IMX 586 sensor and there is a secondary camera with 5 MP resolution. For selfies, it comes with a 16 MP camera with F/2.0 aperture.
The phone has water-drop notch display and offers 87% screen to body ratio. Also, there is an in-display fingerprint scanner, similar to the OnePlus 6T.
Key Specs for OnePlus 7
- Chipset: Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 Processor with Adreno 640 GPU.
- Protection – Corning Gorilla Glass 6.
- Display: 6.41 Inch FHD+ (2340*1080 pixels) Super AMOLED Panel with 19:9 Aspect Ratio.
- OS: Android Pie 9.0 along with the Oxygen OS.
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB Ram.
- Storage: 128 GB internal storage & no SD card support.
- Primary Camera: Dual 48 MP+ 5 MP camera with f/1.7 aperture and OIS, EIS, Phase detection autofocus, dual-tone flash.
- Secondary Camera: 16 Megapixel front selfie camera with f/2.0 aperture, EIS, 1080P videos.
- Sim: Dual Sim Dual 4G (LTE/VOLTE).
- Fingerprint Sensor: In-display Reader.
- Battery capacity: 3700 mAH with fast charging support (Dash Charging).
- Thickness – 7.9 mm
- Weight: 182 grams
- USB Type C Port – Yes
- Price – Starts at Rs. 32,999 in India.
- Available on Amazon India.
Asus 6Z (Best Selfie Camera Mobile)
- Price Rs. 31,999
The Asus 6Z comes with rotating cameras that can work as both rear/ front camera. It offer Dual cameras with 48 MP Sony IMX 586 sensor, and a second camera that comes with 13 MP wide angle lens.
The Asus 6Z comes with a massive 5000 mAH capacity battery with fast charging support. Further, it has the fastest Qualcomm SD 855 Octa-Core chipset with Adreno 640 for gaming.
The rotating cameras may not look great but these can take really good selfies, low light images and even videos for uploading on Tik Tok or even Youtube.
The Asus 6Z ticks a lot of right boxes and is available for a price tag of Rs. 31,999 for the 6 GB Ram and 128 GB storage option.
Key Specs for Asus 6Z:
- Display: 6.39-inch IPS LCD FHD+ (1080 x 2240 pixels) (~402 PPI).
- Gorilla Glass 6
- Chipset: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 855 processor, 2.84 GHz clock Speed.
- GPU: Adreno 640
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB
- OS: Android OS, v9.0 (Pie)
- Storage: 128 GB or 256 GB, expandable up to 512 GB
- Primary Camera: Dual 48 MP (f/1.79) + 13 MP (f/2.4)
- Front Selfie Camera: Same as the rear
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes, rear-mounted
- Battery capacity: 5000 mAh non-removable
- Weight: 155 grams.
- Fast Charging Support – Q.C 4.0, Yes.
- Thickness – 9.7 mm
- Weight – 195 grams
- Fast Charging: Yes
- Price – Rs. 31,999
Google Pixel 3a (Best Camera Mobile Below 40K)
Price Rs. 39,000 (600$)
The Google Pixel 3a and the 3a XL was recently launched by Google to take on the affordable iPHone XR and the Samsung S10e. The Google Pixel comes with the latest Android OS 9.0 Pie and will be the first devices to get the Android Q.
The Pixel comes with exceptional quality 12.2 Megapixel rear camera with f/1.8 aperture and optical image stabilization. The Pixel 3a and 3a XL are the best camera smartphones in the 40k price range and uses Google computational photograpghy to make images better.
The front selfie camera has an 8 MP lens and offers brilliant images.
The Pixel 3a is compact and comes with 5.8 Inch display with Full HD resolution (2160*1080) and an OLED panel. Powering the phone is a Qualcomm Snapdragon 670 processor and Adreno 615 GPU.
There is 4 GB of ram, and the phone comes with 64 GB non-expandable storage. The phone has a 3000 mAH battery that supports fast charging. The Pixel weighs 167 grams and has 8.2 mm thickness.
There is a fingerprint scanner at the back of the device to ensure quick unlocking. You can also buy the Google Pixel 3a XL that comes with a slightly bigger display and has higher (3700 mAH) capacity battery.
The Pixel 3a and Pixel 3a XL are available on Flipkart for Rs. 39,990 and Rs. 44,990.
Samsung Galaxy A70 (6 GB RAM)
Samsung has launched the Galaxy A70 to to offer a great phone for mid-range buyers.
The phone comes with a huge 6.7 Inch bezel-less display with Super AMOLED panel. It has an 19:9 aspect ratio and comes with a 2400*1080 pixels resolution and 401 PPI.
Furthermore, the key highlight of the device is the Triple Rear cameras (32MP + 5 MP + 8 MP) that can click some incredible pictures with background blur effect.
Additionally, we have a 32 MP Selfie camera to ensure you can click amazing selfies to post on social media.
Also, powering the phone is the Snapdragon 675 Octa-Core processor with a maximum clock speed of 2.0 GHz, Adreno 612 GPU. Also, there is 6 GB Ram to ensure smooth user experience.
Overall, it is a great phone for daily usage, with a huge display and battery capacity.
Key Specs for Samsung Galaxy A70
- Processor – Snapdragon 675 Octa-Core Processor with 2.0 GHz Clock Speed.
- GPU – Adreno 612
- Screen Size – 6.7 Inch FHD+ Display, 19:9 Aspect Ratio, (2400*1080 pixels)
- Dual Sim – Yes.
- RAM – 6 GB RAM
- Operating System – Android Pie 9.0 with the Samsung Experience UI 9.5.
- Finger Print Scanner – Yes.
- Front Camera – 32MP camera with Bokeh Mode.
- Rear Camera – Triple Cameras 32 Megapixel + 8MP + 5MP camera with f/1.7 aperture lens.
- Connectivity – 2G, 3G & 4G VOLTE, WIFI, Bluetooth.
- Storage – 128 GB internal Storage – expandable to 256 GB, dedicated Card Slot.
- Battery Capacity – Li-ion 4500 mAh with fast charging support.
- USB Type C Port – Yes
- Thickness – 8.1 mm
- Weight – 180 grams
- Price Rs. 28,999
Oppo Reno 10X ZOOM
The Oppo Reno 10X Zoom was launched in India in June 2019, and despite having a price tag of Rs. 39,990 the phone went out of stock. Usually, Oneplus phones are in more demand but this time a lot of buyers are going for the new Reno 10x.
Notably, this is the only phone apart from the ill fated Huawei P30 Pro, that comes with a Zoom lens. The Reno 10X offers a 10X Hybrid Zoom and has a full view display with a unique pop-up selfie camera mechanism.
The smartphone comes with the ultra-fast SD 855, Octa-Core processor and the Adreno 640 GPU that is excellent for Gaming and daily tasks.
Moreover, there is 48 MP Primary camera, 13 MP Zoom, 8 MP wide angle camera. The pop-up selfie camera offers a 16 MP sensor with 80 degree field of view.
Key Specs for Oppo Reno 10X ZOOM
- Processor: Octa Core, SD 855 with 2.84 GHz Clock Speed and the Adreno 640 GPU.
- Display: 6.6 Inch Full-HD+ (1080×2340 pixels) with 19:9 aspect ratio, AMOLED (~403 PPI).
- RAM: 6 GB or 8 GB DDR4
- OS: Android OS, v9.0 (Pie) along with the Color OS.
- Storage: 128 GB / 256 GB internal storage, expandable up to 2 TB via hybrid Micro-SD Card.
- Primary Camera: Triple 48 MP + 13 MP + 8 MP, Sony IMX 586 sensor, f/1.7 aperture, uses AI to detect scenes and enhance images.
- Video Recording – 4K @ 60 FPS.
- Secondary Camera: 16 Megapixel fin shaped , motorized front selfie camera.
- Dual Sim 4G VOLTE Support.
- Fingerprint sensor: Yes at the back of the device.
- Battery Capacity: Non-removable Li-ion 4050 mAH battery. VOOC Super Fast Charger.
- Thickness – 9.3 mm
- Weight: 215 gms.
- Fast charging: Yes.
- USB Type C Port – Yes.
- Dust and Waterproof – No.
- Bluetooth 5.0,aPTX support.
- Gorilla Glass Version 6.
- NFC Support – Yes
- Colors – Blue
- Headphone Jack (3.5 mm) – No
- Price Rs. 39,999 onwards.
There are some great suggestions in the article – 10 Best mobiles below Rs. 50,000 which you may like to consider before making a purchase.
Also, I recently wrote about some of the best phones worth buying in the 25K to 30K price range.