Laptop Market Share and Top Laptop Brands in India:
According to IDC (International Data Corporation), the Indian PC market has grown 37.7% in Q1 2022 Vs. Q1-2021. The total shipments for PC/Laptops have increased from 3.1 Mn units to 4.2 Mn units.
Several brands sell laptops in the vast Indian market. There are different categories of Laptops – budget, mid-range, premium, and gaming.
There is a growing demand due to government and private sectors and pent-up demand due to Covid-19.
Typically the cost of a laptop starts at Rs. 30,000 and goes up to 2.5 lakhs depending on the specs and features. Some of these brands are Chinese, and others are not.
Let’s have a look at Laptop Market Share in India.
The most popular laptop brands in India (Market Share):
- HP (33.8%)
- Dell (19.4%)
- Lenovo (17.6%)
- Acer (9.8%)
- Asus (6.2%)
- Others (13.2%)
The Top 5 Laptop brands command 86.8% market share and the other brands contribute about 13.2%.
The above data is based on Laptops/PCs/Tablets shipped in Q2 2021.
Several other brands operate in the Indian market, such as:
- Apple (Macbooks)
- Xiaomi (Mi laptops)
- Avita Libre (Affordable Laptops)
- MSI (Known for Gaming Laptops)
- Huawei ( Honor Laptop)
- Microsoft (Surface laptops)
Apart from these, few other brands sell a minuscule number of laptops in the market.
Let’s quickly look at the top brands’ shipments and market share in 2022
|Brand||Market Share||Total Shipments (1000s)|
*Shipments are in 1000s of units. Data Source – IDC’s latest Report on Shipments
Some Key Observations from the above data are:
- There were 2.8 million units shipped in Q2 2020 Vs. 4.2 Mn in Q1 2022.
- HP is the largest laptop brand in India and has a 33.8% share, followed by Dell, with a 19.4% share.
- Lenovo is a close third with a 17.6% share, and Acer and Asus are at number 4 and 5.
- Asus has a 6.2% share in the Indian market and has tremendous demand for gaming laptops.
- Apple also grows strongly in the Indian market thanks to better pricing and incredible products.
Let’s look at the Market strategy of Each Brand and some insights that will help you buy a laptop if you are planning to get one.
Marketing Strategy of Top Notebook Brands in India
HP (Market Share – 33.8%)
The big boss of the Indian laptop market is HP, with an impressive 33.8% market share. HP keeps slightly higher pricing in the market for similar spec products than rivals like Lenovo, Acer, or Asus.
Besides, Hp has a robust network of retailers, distributors, and active selling products online from its store and Amazon, Flipkart, and other e-commerce websites.
HP laptops are rugged, reliable, and backed by a robust after-sales service network.
Dell (Market Share – 19%)
Dell is the most premium player that sells Windows laptops. The brand doesn’t cut corners to make the products cheap, and the XPS series is the gold standard of quality world comprehensive.
The Vostro series caters to budget and mid-range buyers, whereas Inspiron attracts premium buyers. The top-of-the-line XPS series is costly in India, and considering the price, it is not worth it.
Lenovo (Market Share – 17%)
The company has a vast network of stores and sells plenty of machines from its website and other e-commerce channels.
Lenovo’s versatile product portfolio quickly brings the latest tech to buyers. However, complaints about the product quality and after-sales service have been growing, hampering the brand’s growth in the Indian market.
Acer (Market Share – 10%)
Acer is perceived as an affordable brand in the market, has a strong retail presence, and sells plenty of laptops online.
The brand offers above-average quality products at affordable prices and has a robust sales network in India.
Asus (Market Share – 6.2%)
Asus is the fastest growing brand and clocked excellent growth this year. Asus is one of the most innovative brands and was the first to bring laptops powered by AMD Ryzen 4000/5000 series.
Also, recent Asus laptops offer OLED displays that are better than the IPS LCD display offered by most other brands.
Apple ( Best Premium Laptops)
Also, the new Macbooks are affordable compared to the previous-gen models that came with the Intel processors and offer superior performance and power efficiency.
Undoubtedly, Apple will dominate the premium market in the coming quarters due to its technically superior products.
However, India is a Windows OS-dominated market, and some users prefer Windows over macOS.
So, you can check on Amazon from which country a particular brand is importing laptops. Most of these come from China, and there is hardly any manufacturing of notebooks in India.
Global PC Shipments (Including Laptop and Tablets)
|Global PC Shipments (Including Laptop and Tablets)|
|MKT Share Q3 2021||% Growth (2021 Vs. 2020)|
Check out the latest Laptops Launched in India.
Data Source – IDC (International Data Corporation) PC shipment report.