7 Latest Android Smartphones With Quad HD Display (2K): updated 05/sept/2017 – A year or two back it was often claimed that the human eye fails to recognize the quality of picture beyond a particular pixel density on the screen displays. However, this notion is not holding back the smartphones and buyers to move to 2K (2560*1440) P resolution smartphones.
In 2017 the Quad HD+ resolution (2960*1440) is also becoming common in smartphones with 18.5:9 or 18:9 aspect ratio displays. Latest smartphones launched with the Quad HD+ resolution include LG V30, Samsung S8, Lg G6 and Samsung Note 8.
The mobile companies are working towards achieving more refine and high resolution displays. The 300 pixels per inch was the pixel density once considered optimum for smartphone screen. It is now replaced with displays supporting double that PPI.
The phone manufacturer are boasting of their new releases with very fine displays supporting HD, Full HD and now QUAD HD(2K) 2560*1440P , QHD+ displays and even some phones like the Sony XZ Premium offers UHD(4K).
A quick comparison of resolutions supported on the phone.
- HD: 1280 X 720 pixels on the display screen. 5 inch screen will give a screen density of about 300 ppi. An important thing to note is smaller the screen higher the density.
- Full HD: 1920 x 1280 pixels on the display screen. 5-inch screen will present the screen density of over 440 ppi.
- Quad HD(2K): 2560 x 1440 pixels on the display screen. 5 inch screen will present an incredible 538 ppi pixel density.
- Quad HD+: 2960*1440 pixels on the display screen. 5 Inch screen will offer a very high 658 Ppi pixel density.
Effects of Using Quad HD 2K Display On Smartphones
Supporting enhanced screen resolutions, puts more strain on the phone resources viz. Processor, RAM, GPU, battery etc. And hence the phone supporting higher resolutions are shipped with higher bigger capacity, enhanced RAM size and high end mobile processors.
Though some industry analyst considers it not an intelligent idea of phones supporting QUAD HD displays but the marketing and sales departments in order to win over more customers are not ready to compromise on anything that can help them beat the competition.
There are numerous new smartphones from top brands in the market which support QUAD HD display and we will review some of them which are top selling nowadays.
If you ask me it is beyond a marketing gimmick, 2K display screen looks more refined, images and videos look more clear and vibrant compared to even the FHD display.
Let’s begin our list of 7 Latest Android Smartphones With Quad HD Display (2K), with one of my favourites from the Samsung’s stable.
Samsung S8 and S8 Plus
The Samsung S8 and Samsung S8 Plus were one of the first smartphones to offer Quad HD+ Display. Both the smartphones come with the Super Amoled Display panel which offers great colours and contrast ratios. The displays are sufficiently bright to work outdoors and also comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection.
The Samsung S8 comes with a display size of 5.8 inches with a QHD+ resolution (2960*1440 pixels) having PPI of 570 pixels per inch. Notably, the Samsung S8 comes with a Bezel-less display with 18.5:9 aspect ratio.
The Samsung S8 is one of the best-designed phones with Infinite display and offers great camera quality. The Samsung S8 comes with a f/1.7 aperture single rear camera which is similar to the camera used on the Samsung S7 Edge.
Samsung S8 price in India starts from Rs. 57,900 or $700.
The smartphone is coupled with 4 GB of RAM and has 64 GB of internal storage which can be expanded to 256 GB via micro SD card. Powering the smartphone is either the Qualcomm Snapdragon 825 chipset (US) and Exynos 8890 (India).
Key Spec for Samsung Galaxy S8
- Processor – Exynos 8895 Octa Core or the Qualcomm MSM8998 Snapdragon 835
- GPU – Mali-G71 MP20 or Adreno 540 – USA & China
- Display and Screen Size – 5.8 inches Super AMOLED, Quad HD+ Resolution with (2960*1440), 570 PPI
- Dual Sim –Yes, Hybrid Sim Slot.
- RAM – 4 GB RAM
- Storage – 64 GB internal Storage – expandable to 256 GB.
- Operating System – Android Nougat 7.1 upgradable to Android Oreo 8.0.
- Finger Print Scanner – Yes Rear Mounted near camera.
- Rear Camera –12 MP, f/1.7, phase detection auto focus, OIS, LED flash
- Front Camera – 8 MP, f/1.7, auto focus selfie camera.
- Connectivity – WIFI, Bluetooth, NFC and USB 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector
- Battery Capacity – Non-removable Li-ion 3000 mAh. Fast Charging, Wireless Charging.
- Colors – Midnight Black, Orchid Grey, Arctic Silver, Coral Blue, Maple Gold
- Thickness – 8 mm
- Weight – 155 grams
- IP 68 Rated – Water and Dust Resistant
The Samsung S8 Plus is slightly larger in size compared to the Samsung S8. The S8 Plus comes with a 6.2 Inch screen size compared to the 5.8 Inch screen size of the Samsung S8. The Samsung S8 plus comes with a larger 3500 mAH capacity battery and also has a 6 GB RAM version.
Key Spec For Samsung S8 Plus
- Screen- 6.2-inch QHD+ Super AMOLED display with with (2960*1440), with 530 PPi.
- Screen Protection- Corning Gorilla Glass 5.0. Curved Glass display.
- Processor- Exynos 8895 or Snapdragon 835 (US) clocked at 2.35 GHz.
- GPU – Adreno 540 (SD 835) or the Mali-G71 MP20 (Exynos)
- RAM- 4 GB/6 GB
- Storage- 64 GB/128 GB with support for micro-sd card upto 256 GB.
- Rear camera- 12 MP, Dual pixel autofocus, f/1.7 aperture, OIS
- Front camera- 8 MP, AF, f/1.7 aperture
- Connectivity- 3G/4G, VoLTE, WiFi, Bluetooth v5.0, GPS, GPRS
- Battery- 3500 mAh with fast charging support.
- Security options- Fingerprint scanner, Iris Scanner, Face recognition, IP 68 Water and dust proof.
- Wireless charging support- YES
- Price – Rs 65,900 (6 GB variant), Rs 64,200 (4 GB variant)
Huawei Honor 8 Pro
The Honor 8 pro which was launched in India in April 2017 and the smartphone competes with the top selling OnePlus 5. The Huawei Honor 8 Pro comes with a large 5.7 Inches LTPS IPS LCD display which offers Quad HD resolution (2560*1440) pixels and has 564 PPI (pixel density).
The smartphone display comes with the normal 16:9 aspect ratio and has Corning Gorilla Glass 3 protection and offers 74% screen to body ratio.
Huawei Honor 8 PRO comes with an internal storage of 128 GB along with 6 GB Ram. In China, the smartphone is named as Huawei Honor V9 . The key highlight of the smartphone is its 12 Megapixel Dual rear camera and large 4000 mAH battery capacity.
KEY Specs For Huawei HONOR 8 PRO
- Display – 5.7 inches Quad HD Resolution with LTPS IPS LCD. 568 PPI and 74% screen to body ratio.
- Resolution – 1440 x 2560 pixels with Protection Corning Gorilla Glass 3.
- Operating system – Android Nougat 7.0 with EMUI 5.1.
- Processor – Huawei Kirin 960 Octa core Processor (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53).
- GPU – Mali G78 MP8.
- RAM – 6 GB Ram.
- Rear Camera – 12 MP Dual Rear Camera with one RGB Sensor and other B&W Sensor.
- Front Selfie Camera- 8 MP, f/2.0, selfie camera.
- Storage – 128 GB internal storage, expandable upto 256 GB using micro-SD card.
- Battery – 4000 mAh Li-polymer non-removable battery with fast charging support.
- Dimensions – 157 x 77.5 x 7 mm.
- Sensors – Fingerprint (rear-mounted) , NFC enabled.
- Weight – 184 gm
- Price – Rs. 29999 or $460
Google Pixel XL
Google Pixel phones are the first devices that Google claims to have made by Google. The smartphones from Google are premium devices and they compete with the likes of Samsung and Apple.
The Google Pixel XL is the larger smartphone and comes with an AMOLED Display panel with Quad HD resoltion and 5.5 Inch Screen size. The display is also protected by the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and comes with the 16:9 display.
The Pixel brings best of camera experience, a unique design and the latest Android Nougat 7.0 with Google Assist. The smartphone is among the first devices to run on the Android Oreo 8.0 Update.
The Hardware is top notch with Snapdragon 821 and 4 GB RAM to ensure fluid experience. It is the best Android Phone I would buy if Money is not the consideration.
Key Specs for Google Pixel :
- Display – 5.5 inch AMOLED capacitive touch display.
- Resolution – Offers 2560 x 1440 pixels resolution at 534 pixel density
- Comes with Corning Gorilla Glass 4 protection.
- Splash and dust protection but not water proof.
- Processor – Qualcomm Snapdragon 821, Quad core processor clocked at 2.35 GHz speed
- GPU – Adreno 530 GPU for gaming.
- Ram – 4 GB RAM.
- Storage – 32/128 GB internal storage with no SD card support.
- Rear camera – 12.3 MP rear camera at f/2.0 aperture with EIS, phase detection, laser auto focus & Dual-LED (Dual-tone) flash.
- Front selfie camera – 8 MP front camera at f/2.4 aperture, 1080p recording.
- Type C-1.0 reversible port
- Finger print sensor on the rear panel.
- Accelerometer, gyro, proximity, compass, barometer sensors.
- Thickness – 8.6 mm and 168 grams weight.
- Non-removable 3440 Li-ion mAh battery with Fast Charging.
The Samsung Galaxy Note 8 is launched in August 2017 and is priced close to $900 or Rs. 70,000. The key highlight of the smartphone is it’s dual rear camera setup, it is the first phone from Samsung with the Dual camera module. It has 12 MP Dual rear camera with f/1.7 aperture while the telephoto lens comes with f/2.4 aperture.
The Samsung Note 8 has an infinite low Bezel display with 6.30-inch screen size and comes with an incredible 2960*1440 pixels (521 PPi) pixel density. The display for the Samsung Note 8 is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and offers 522 PPi.
The Note 8 is powered by 2.35 GHz Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor or the Exynos 8895 (India) and is coupled with 6 GB of RAM.
The Samsung Note 8 runs on the Android Nougat, has an S-Pen and comes with a 3300 mAH battery capacity which offers fast charging support.
Key Spec For Samsung Note 8
- Screen- 6.3 inches Super AMOLED display with Quad HD+ resolution (2960*1440) with 521 PPi.
- Screen Protection- Corning Gorilla Glass 5.0
- Processor- Octa Core Exynos 8895 or Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 clocked at 2.35 GHz.
- GPU – Mali-G71 MP20 or Adreno 540
- RAM- 6 GB
- Storage- 64 GB/128 GB /256 GB and can be expanded using the micro-sd card slot.
- Rear camera- Dual 12 MP ( f/1.7 aperture, a second lens with f/2.4 aperture, AF), OIS, autofocus, dual-LED (dual tone) flash, 4K recording.
- Front camera- 8 MP, f/1.7 aperture, autofocus, Auto HDR.
- Connectivity- 3G/4G, VoLTE, WiFi, Bluetooth v5.0, GPS, NFC and USB Type C port
- Battery- 3300 mAh with fast charging support.
- Security options- Fingerprint scanner, Iris Scanner.
- Bixby Assistant, S-Pen support, Wireless charging support.
- Weight – 195 grams
- Thickness – 8.6 mm
- Price – Rs 74,900 or US $ 900.
The LG V30 is the latest addition to this list and the smartphone is launched recently on 31st Aug 2017. The LG V30 comes with a 6.0 OLED Display which offers great color reproduction, brightness levels and details.
The display is very sharp on the LG V30 and comes with Quad HD+ resolution with 2880*1440 pixels screen with a Full Vision display and minimal bezels at the top and bottom side. The display on the smartphone is protected by the Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and comes with 83% screen to body ratio.
The LG V30 is powered by the latest Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 processor and has 4 GB of Ram. The smartphone comes with a Dual camera setup with 16 MP lens (f/1.6) aperture and a 13 Megapixel lens with f/1.9 aperture.
Key Specs For LG V30 Smartphone
- Processor – Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 Octa-Core Processor Clocked at 2.35 GHz.
- GPU – Adreno 540 GPU.
- Display and Screen Size : 6.0-inch 18:9 QuadHD+ OLED Full Vision Display with 2880 x 1440 & 538ppi.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 5 Protection, 83% Screen to Body Ratio.
- Ram and Storage – 4 GB Ram / 64 GB , 4 GB RAM / 128 GB storage. Expandable to 2 TB using the micro-sd card slot.
- Rear Camera: Dual 16 MP (F/1.6 aperture / 71°) & 13 MP Wide Angle (F1.9 aperture and 120°)
- Front Selfie Camera: 5 MP Wide Angle (F2.2 aperture camera with 90°)
- Battery Capacity: 3,300 mAh with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Operating System: Android 7.1.2 Nougat with the LG UX 6.0.
- Thickness – 7.3 mm, Weight: 158 grams
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 5.0 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible)
- Others Features: IP68 Water and Dust Resistant / Wireless Charging / Daydream Ready /Face recognition.
- Exceptional Sound – 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC /
- Fingerprint Scanner at the back of the device.
- Expected Price – Rs. 51,990 or $750.
LG unveiled the LG G6 at the MWC in February 2017 and the smartphone is available in India since April 2017. The LG G6 is priced close to Rs. 40,000 or $650 and offers great value for money.
The key highlight of the LG G6 is its 5.7-inch 18:9 QHD+ FullVision Display which offers (2880 x 1440 offering 564 ppi) resolution. The display comes with curved edges and it makes the smartphone look futuristic as well as the display is more resistant to breaks due to falls.
The LG G6 comes with Dual Rear camera which has a 13 MP wide f/2.4 aperture lens and another 13 MP standard lens with f/1.8 aperture with OIS.
The LG G6 offers great imaging and photography options for buyers. If you have a slightly higher buddet can also look at the LG V30.
Key Specifications For LG G6
- Chipset: Qualcomm Snapdragon™ 821 Processor Clocked at 2.4 GHz.
- Graphics Processor – Adreno 530 GPU.
- Display: 5.7-inch 18:9 QHD+ FullVision Display (2880 x 1440 / 564ppi).
- Memory: 4 GB LPDDR4 RAM / 32 GB or 64 GB UFS 2.0 ROM / MicroSD (up to 2TB).
- Rear Camera Dual: 13 MP Wide (F/ 2.4 with 125° wide lens) / 13 MP Standard OIS 2.0 (F/ 1.8 with 71° lens).
- Front Camera – 5 MP Wide Selfie camera ( F/ 2.2 with 100°)
- Battery: 3,300 mAh with Qualcomm Quick Charge 3.0.
- Operating System: Android 7.0 Nougat with LG UX 6.0, will also get Android Oreo 8.0 update.
- Connectivity: Wi-Fi 802.11 a, b, g, n, ac / Bluetooth 4.2 BLE / NFC / USB Type-C 2.0 (3.1 compatible).
- Other: Water and Dust Resistant IP 68 rating.
- Fingerprint Sensor
- Dolby Vision™ Sound with 32-bit Hi-Fi Quad DAC
- Size: 148.9 x 71.9 x 7.9mm.
- Weight: 163 g
- Dual Sim Support with 4G VOLTE.
- Price – Rs. 41,999
The HTC U11 is priced at Rs. 51,999 in the Indian market and the smartphone was launched in June 2017. The HTC U11 comes with 6 GB RAM and 128 GB of internal storage.
The HTC U11 looks gorgeous with stunning design with “Liquid Surface” which is quiet glossy, yet elegant. The smartphone also comes with a new edge squeeze technology. You can press the edges to launch an App.
The HTC U11 boasts of a 5.5-inch display with a resolution of 1440 x 2560 pixels with 565 PPI, but is not a bezel less phone like the LG V30. Furthermore, the display is protected by Corning Gorilla Glass 5 and also comes with a 2.5D curve glass.
The key highlight of the HTC U11 is its rear 12 MP camera with f/1.7 aperture and OIS. The camera is considered one of the best and rivals the Samsung S8 and Google pixel. The smartphone also offers a good 16 MP front selfie camera.
Under the hood, there is a Snapdragon 835 processor along with the Adreno 540 GPU.
KEY SPECS FOR HTC U 11
- Display – 5.5 inches Super LCD 5 Quad HD (2560×1440).
- Protection – Corning Gorilla Glass 5 protection and also has 2.5 D curve glass.
- Operating system – Android 7.1.1 nougat with HTC Sense UI.
- Processor – Octa-Core Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 clocked at 2.45 GHz.
- GPU – Adreno 540.
- Storage – 128 GB internal storage expandable to 256 GB using the micro-sd card.
- Ram – 6 GB RAM.
- Rear Camera – 12 MP with f/1.7 aperture size, support for 4K video recording.
- Front Selfie Camera – 16 Megapixel camera with f/2.0 aperture.
- Squeezable Edges with the Edge Sense technology.
- Superior Audio Enhancement.
- Water and Dust resistant with IP 67 rating.
- Battery – Non-removable li-lon 3000 mAH battery (fast charging with Quick Charge 3.0)
- Sensors – Fingerprint embedded in the home button at the front.
- USB Type C – Port.
- Colors – Amazing silver, Sapphire blue, Brilliant Black , Ice White, solar red
- Price – 51,990
Released in March 2016, this phone is powered by world’s fastest mobile processor Exynos 8890 or Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 (clocked at 2.15 GHz ) along with Adreno 530 GPU. The smartphone was released along side the Galaxy S7 edge which comes with revolutionary curved edge display.
The smartphone runs on Android marshmallow 6.0 along with touch wiz UI. It has a built in 4 GB RAM LPDDR4 which is much faster than the LPDDR3.
Samsung S7 is available with 32 GB storage for a price of Rs. 48,900 and also has the option to expand the storage to 128 GB using the micro sd card. The Dual SIM slot supports 4G LTE, 3G HSDPA and 2G GSM.
Samsung Galaxy S7 comes fitted with screen display size of 5.15″ and sports a resolution of 1440×2560(QHD) pixels with an incredible 564-pixel density. The AMOLED Display looks great.
The galaxy S7 has the best camera on any smartphone with 12MP f/1.7 aperture rear camera and 5 MP front camera supporting features like optical image stabilization, autofocus, LED flash, face detection etc. The battery capacity is of 3000 mAh.
It has a built-in fingerprint scanner. The phone sports a metal and glassy look and comes in various colour variant viz. Gold, Black Sapphire, Gold Platinum.
It will cost around 49k or $699 in the global market.
The LG G5 was launched in 2016 by LG, which is well known for its Unique Modular design concept. It is the flagship smartphones from the South Korean technology giant and now is available for $449 or Rs. 26,000.
The smartphone also carries a 2K (Quad HD Display) screen measuring 5.3 inches, the display has better contrast levels. Moreover the display comes with Always On mode which shows clock and notification, still, the battery consumption is very less.
Even this additional power consumption can be compensated by an extra battery module. Apart from this dedicated audio modules, camera control modules were also available for the LG G5
Powering the smartphone is a Snapdragon 820 processor clocked at 2.2 GHz and 4 GB RAM. For storage, the phone comes with 32 GB of internal storage and have micro SD slot.
For photography, it has a 16-megapixel rear camera and an 8-megapixel front facing camera. The LG G5 runs on the Android Marshmallow 6.0 and will also get an early Android Nougat 7.0 update.
The phone comes with 2800 mAh battery. There is a fingerprint scanner at the back of the smartphone to unlock it quickly. Overall a great flagship smartphone with a unique design.
Thanks for reading the Article – 7 Latest Android Smartphones With Quad HD Display (2K).
You may Also Like: